Ocean Trout Tartare with Citrus Dressing
We served a version of this bright, citrusy ocean trout tartare on our first ever retreat, paired with beetroot puree and dehydrated olives. This recipe is a little more 'make at home' friendly but no less delicious. With absolutely no cooking required it's super simple but very impressive, and an absolute favourite. Get the freshest wild caught ocean trout you can lay your fingers on.
- 500 grams sashimi grade ocean trout fillet, bones removed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 2 red eschalots, thinly sliced
- 60m yuzu or grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange and 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon sheep yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- Crostini or cos lettuce leaves
- Finely dice the ocean trout and combine in a non-metal bowl with the chives, lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste and refrigerate.
- Make the dressing by combining the eschalots, yuzu, ginger and citrus zest.
- Spoon the trout tartare on to crostini or cos lettuce leaves.
- Drizzle with dressing, dot with sheep yoghurt and sprinkle sesame seeds to serve.