Aly worked her way through university balancing martini’s at Justin Hemmes’ luxurious Hemmesphere. “I trained under the rule of Carolina Jensen. She has impeccable taste, a hawk-eye for detail and rigorously tested our product knowledge each week. If we failed? No tips. Aced it? Dom Pérignon. She taught me how to smoke a cigar and sustain myself on a diet of champagne and lobster sashimi.”
A writer, designer and website creator, Aly became transfixed by the stillness she found within the movement of yoga. After a two year transition from art direction to law school, a heart shredding break up and massive car crash she was thoroughly cooked. Sneaking out of work to take yoga classes, she fell hard for the physical rush and absolute calm she felt, long after the session was done.
Hopping a plane, Aly dove into the rich and diverse yoga culture of downtown New York City, infusing her teaching with Ayurveda and Daoism, poetry and myth. She shares her uniquely flavoured approach to the practice with creative and considered classes, infused with her love of the evocative power of language.
Former marketing manager of Sydney's iconic BodyMindLife studios, Aly created an intelligent and accessible brand voice that captured a unique and diverse audience, both locally and abroad. Her playful and inclusive vision saw her draw from the best in yoga, meditation, philosophy and music to punctuate the traditional studio offering with regular workshops, trainings and events, and form strong partnerships with brands including Yoga Journal, Wanderlust Festivals and the ABC.
Favourite feathers in her bow include the creation of:
- Shapeshift Sundays – Sydney's first monthly live DJ yoga party classes with Christian Ralston & Set Mo
- Yoga on the Lawn – a biannual outdoor series in collaboration with Sydney's Central Park
- Classic Flow – the epic 500 person yoga and live classical music event at The Cutaway, Barangaroo with ABC Classic radio (now a successful podcast series)
- BodyMindLife Glitter Bar at Wanderlust Cockatoo Island – 3 days, 3000 glitter tattoos and bindis
- Yoga/Drums – a sold out event that shook to the beat of 150 drums and a whole lotta trance dance
- Sold out yoga teacher training, workshops and events with Ana Forrest, May Ezraty, Simon Park, Patrick Beach, Noelle Connolly, Dave Stringer, Joan Hyman, Les Levanthal and Edo & Jo